Step 1 - Get Service Provider (SP) information from Workstars
- Login to your Workstars administrator account (must be the primary account or technical user)
- Click on System Settings at the top
- Then click Sign On from the left-hand menu
- Click the Setup button next to the Single Sign On (SAML) option
- Select G Suite
- From the Service Provider section save a copy of the ACS URL and Entity ID as you will need these in the Step 2
Step 2 - Add Workstars app to G Suite
- Login to G Suite as an administrator
- On the dashboard click Apps or open the menu in the top left and click Apps
- Click SAML apps
- Click Add a service/App to your domain or click the + icon in the bottom right
- Click SETUP MY OWN CUSTOM APP at the bottom
- Save a copy of the SSO URL and Entity ID as you will need them in Step 3
- Click the DOWNLOAD button and save the x509 certificate
- Click NEXT
- In the Application Name box enter the name you want to show your users
- In the Description box you can optionally enter a description
- Upload an appropriate logo
- Click NEXT
- In the ACS URL box enter our ACS URL from Step 1
- In the Entity ID box enter our Entity ID from Step 1
- Leave the other fields with their defaults
- Click NEXT
- Click FINISH
- Click OK
- Assign the appropriate users by clicking the … icon in the top right of the app settings. The options are ON for everyone, OFF or ON for some organizations
- Confirm your selection
Step 3 - Configure Sign On to use G Suite
- Log back into your Workstars administrator account
- In the top bar select System Settings
- On the left hand navigation select Sign On
- Click Setup next to the Single Sign On (SAML) option
- Select G Suite
- In the SAML SSO URL box enter the appropriate value you copied in Step 2
- In the Identity Provider Entity ID box enter the appropriate value you copied in Step 2
- Open the x509 Certificate you downloaded in Step 2 with a text editor (e.g. Notepad). It should be in PEM format which looks like the following:
- Copy and paste the file contents into the x509 Certificate box
- In the Remote Logout URL box enter an appropriate URL (e.g. https://myaccount.google.com). This is where you would like the user to be redirected when they logout. It should not be the same as the SAML SSO URL or the user will just be logged back in and can never logout.
- Leave the NameID as the default Email. We also support EmployeeID but configuring G Suite is outside the scope of this document, please contact support.
- Click Confirm to save the settings
Step 4 - Test & Enable
The setup is now complete but it is NOT yet visible for employees on the login page.
Please ensure you have an account in G Suite which has the new App assigned to it and you have an account in our system with the same email address.
When you are ready you must enable it:
- On the Sign On page, click the Enable button next to Single Sign On (SAML)
- Copy the test link
- Open a Incognito/InPrivate browser tab and paste in the link
- You should be redirected to the G Suite login page
- If you login, you should be redirected back to our system and automatically logged in
If you haven’t already done so, we recommend that you log back in to G Suite and assign all your users and groups.
- If the test worked, go back to the other browser window and click the Enable button
- If you experience any errors please check the settings are correct. If you need further assistance please capture any error message screens and contact support
You have now enabled Single Sign On (SAML) for all employees, to check the login is working:
- Visit your login URL (not the test one), it should be something like: https://<your-sub-domain>.workstars.com. You should be redirected to the G Suite login page and asked to login. If you are already logged in, you should be redirected back and logged into our system.
- Employees can also login directly from the G Suite portal. To test this, login to the G Suite portal and click the app. You should be redirected to our site and logged in.
Below are a few possible errors and how to resolve them.
On our login page it says “Sorry we could not find your account, please contact your HR Team”
Strictly speaking this isn't an error. The reason is that you have tried to login via SAML but the account you have used does not have a matching account in our system. To resolve it simply create an account in our system with the same details. If you are not using email as the nameID please check that the alternative is the same in both systems (e.g. employeeID, extnernaID, etc.) and that it is being correctly sent in the SAML request.
On our login page it says “There is a problem with Single Sign On please contact your IT department.”
This is a general error and means that there is something wrong with the setup. Please check it is setup as described above, if you have followed a different guide (some providers also have their own guides) please start again using this document as a guide. If you have checked everything and cannot find any issues please contact support and we will help you resolve the problem.
I can login from the Identity Providers portal but when I try and login from the Workstars login page it redirects me to a message that says “page not found” or another error
This is usually because you have entered an incorrect SAML SSO URL, please check it is correct. If you have checked and cannot find any issues please contact support and we will help you resolve the problem.